Hilltop Beds Update
I have been feeling under the weather lately, having had two colds since the beginning of June and now an ear infection...I actually spent most of the day in bed yesterday and still slept soundly last night which shows me how exhausted I was. And if that wasn't bad enough, my husband's back is now out after moving a huge log over the weekend and then using the weed wacker in the paths between my raised beds (boy do I feel guilty about that!) - with me moping around and him all hunched over, we were a sorry sight yesterday evening, let me tell you!
This morning, I felt quite a bit better and figured I would finally finish a post I started last week giving a little tour of the hilltop beds. In case you’re wondering about the Bed #’s, they are sequential & start in the main vegetable garden area.
I still have a ton of work to complete on the hilltop (which I will do a separate post about) so please ignore the grass and weeds :)
Bed #17 - Potatoes
The potatoes are growing like crazy.
|6 varieties of potatoes are growing in this bed|
|Several inches of straw topping the potato bed|
A few of the varieties are also starting to bloom now.
|Yukon Gold potato blooms|
Beds #14 and #16 – Peppers, Eggplant & Pole Beans
The eggplants are doing ok, I suppose, as are the peppers. Neither are as large as I would have liked, especially the eggplants - the ones at the farm are much larger right now. I'm thinking I should probably start them sooner next year.
|Eggplants - Not huge but looking good otherwise|
Since I had such a great pepper harvest last year from the plants that grew in the bean beds, I decided to do the same thing this time round. Each 8 x 4 bed was divided lengthwise and half was planted up with peppers (and eggplant) and the other half with the climbing beans.
I’ve been having very spotty germination on a couple of varieties of beans and it’s a bit of a mystery. I sowed 4 climbing beans varieties (Trail of Tears, Vermont Cranberry, Walcherse White & Gold Marie). The beans in bed #14 (Gold Marie & Trail of Tears) came up fairly well:
|Peppers on the left; beans on the right|
|Peppers on the left; beans on the right...beans? Where?|
|Munched Bean Plant|
Now take a look at this:
Oceanis on the left; Contender on the right
One of two possibilities comes to mind. Of course we have the slugs once again - perhaps they found Oceanis much tastier than Contender? Possibility #2 is that the seeds rotted in the coolish weather we had earlier this month - Oceanis may simply not be as tolerant to cool temps as Contender.
I’m pre-germinating another round of seeds for each of the failures. This will at least let me know that the seeds are viable and I’m not dealing with bad seed.
Bed #13 - Corn and Squash
I sowed the corn a couple of weeks ago & it is off and running.
|Squash & Corn Bed|
The squash was just transplanted last week. I’m trying Daphne’s two sisters method of planting butternut squash and corn together. I grew corn many years ago in my first garden but can’t remember how successful it was. As for the butternut squash, this will be my first time growing it – thankfully it’s squash vine borer resistant, so at least that’s one problem I won’t have to worry about.
Bed #15 - Kids Bed
My kids are sharing a bed this year – on my daughters side is a lot of different flowers plus tomatoes and carrots (which we still have to sow). My son is growing peppers & snow peas. A parsley plant was supposed to go in his bed as well, but I completely forgot when I was planting out the seedlings and composted the extras - I'm kicking myself for that one. He’s still undecided what he wants in the rest of his spot.
Permanent Beds - Asparagus
I transplanted the asparagus on May 29. There is very little information on growing asparagus from seed, so I basically had to make educated guesses as to the best method of transplanting the seedlings.
I built three asparagus beds, each of them 2.5’ wide x 8’ long. I decided that, since crowns should be planted about 6” deep and then gradually filled in as the spears grew, that is how I would transplant my seedlings. I tapped each seeding out of it’s cell pack and placed it in a hole that was about 5-6” deep. Then I backfilled with about an inch of soil. More soil was washed in whenever it rained & only last week, I added enough soil to completely fill in each hole.
I have seen a few people indicate that their seed sown asparagus did not survive the first winter, so I suppose that will be the real test. Next spring, I’ll either be celebrating or planting some new crowns.
Till next time…