After being away for a week, there was a bit of catch-up harvesting to get done. But the best harvest was also the tiniest one:
|First ever raspberry harvest|
Also not included in the tally were the beans as these need to dry and be shelled before they end up on a scale:
|Walcherse White & Vermont Cranberry Beans|
The other exciting harvest this past week was the potatoes. I harvested 3 of the 6 varieties I grew – Linzer Deliketess, Yukon Gold & Caribe. These accounted for half of the total potato bed.
The Linzers were harvested the day after we got back:
|Linzer Deliketess potatoes plus|
one accidentally harvested Viking
|Linzer potatoes all cleaned up|
The total yield for this variety was not that great – 1,230 grams (2.7 lbs) – but considering the tiny seed potatoes I started out with, I’m quite happy with it.
From the left: Bintje, Linzer, Roko & Caribe
|Linzer Seed Potato|
|Caribe (left) and Yukon Gold (right)|
There were a few damaged potatoes among these as well:
|Approximately half a dozen potatoes were damaged by a critter|
A couple of veg were just starting to go over when we got back. Most of the Sorrento rapini was flowering so it ended up on our dinner plate with the Linzer potatoes.
Another veg that was going over were the radishes. I harvested most of them – although there are still a few in the ground – together with some bok choy & an onion.
|From top left - Joi Choi hybrid, Evergeen perennial bunching onion,|
Easter Egg, French Breakfast & Scarlet Globe radishes
You can see what I mean about the large bunching onions. I used a portion of this one in a Thai curry and the rest went into the fridge. I would rather not have to save portions of an onion, so prefer them quite a bit smaller.
One of the first things I did when we got back was pick all of the ripening tomatoes off of the vines.
I did a fairly thorough job of picking ripe and/or ripening tomatoes before we left, so I didn’t find any overripe tomatoes on the vines, which was good. In order to save as many tomatoes as possible from becoming infected with blight, I have been picking them every other day or so, whenever I see any of them starting to get a blush of colour.
Our dry weather has helped slow down the progress of the blight & I spent a good couple of hours pruning off blighted leaves and fruit. I can’t believe the plants are still up and running. Last year, the tomato beds were completely cleared by mid-September.
I picked another batch of peppers:
|From the top left: Stock Red Roaster, Padron (down the middle), Pepperoncino,|
Tam Jalapeno, Corne de Chevre, Hot Wax, Jimmy Nardello
Even though our days are still hitting highs in the 20’s (68F+), our nights have cooled down quite a bit. I’ll likely be picking off the rest of the tomatoes and peppers & cleaning up the beds within the next couple of weeks.
The White Lady turnips seem to have grown overnight:
I picked those yesterday & they were huge…a bit too huge (about twice as large as those I harvested in the spring). Although their texture was still lovely – tender & moist – they did have a stronger, spicier finish than those I grew in the spring. Still yummy, but I prefer the more subtle flavour of the spring grown ones. I'm pretty sure that the stronger flavour was due to how large they grew rather than when they were grown. I have to get out there today and pick all of the rest.
Also harvested was a basket of Ping Tung & Slim Jim eggplants:
|Ping Tung Eggplant along with|
a couple of Slim Jims in the middle
I harvested a big box of broccoli the weekend before we left (which I included in my last Harvest Monday post ) and I had another boxful waiting for me when we got back:
|Another big batch of Broccoli|
|434 grams (0.96 lbs) of broccoli sideshoots|
from my hyperactive plant
My harvest totals this week were:
Broccoli – 1,829 grams (4.03 lbs)
Chinese Greens – 242 grams (0.53 lbs)
Eggplant – 938 grams (2.07 lbs)
Bunching Onions – 186 grams (0.41 lbs)
Sweet Peppers – 554 grams (1.22 lbs)
Hot Peppers – 686 grams (1.51 lbs)
Potatoes – 3,658 grams (8.06 lbs)
Radishes – 266 grams (0.59 lbs)
Rapini – 172 grams (0.38 lbs)
Tomatoes – 3,962 grams (8.73 lbs)
Turnips – 642 grams (1.42 lbs)
Turnip Greens – 452 grams (1.00 lbs)
Total for Week – 13, 587 grams (29.95 lbs)
Total to Date – 123.58 kg (272.45 lbs)
To see what everyone else has been harvesting over the past week, head on over to Daphne’s Dandelions, our host for Harvest Mondays.
Till next time…