The weather finally turned a couple of weeks ago, after our April snowstorm, and I have been busy with bed prep, seeding and transplanting. It’s wonderful to finally be working outside!
Since the weather outlook was promising, with temps staying above freezing for the most part, I spent some time this past weekend hooking up the drip system. Of course, things didn’t run as smoothly as I would have liked. A vacuum breaker fitting that my husband left on one of the hoses had corroded and essentially fused with the hose – my bad as I forgot to tell him that any fittings should be taken off the hoses before storing.
|The faucet is a strange size (larger than usual) and requires specialty fittings.|
The fitting that is fused to the hose is the only one that will fit and it was a PAIN to source.
So with the good weather comes plenty of transplanting & seeding. The onions and leeks were transplanted last week – a tedious job, but one that’s well worth the effort:
Hard to believe that those barely there, wispy leaves
will turn into fat onions in only a few months
Yesterday, however, I saw some damage in one of the onion beds and it has me worried. Several of the onion seedlings are cut off right at the base. My first thought - cutworms.
At least a dozen or so seedlings were affected and I've tried rooting in the soil to see if I can find the worm(s) - well, technically caterpillars - but have had no luck. Collaring the seedlings is out of the question as there are far too many of them.
|Decapitated seedling that was also uprooted|
Fingers crossed that this will do the trick. I've not had cutworms in the garden before so this was quite a surprise. Just goes to show that you never know what each season will throw at you...