Spring is taking it's sweet ol' time getting here this year.
It's still too cold to do anything outside - my thermometer reads -5C/23F right now - and the ground is still frozen solid. The weather should start to turn soon, though - I have a feeling that I'll be out there by next week (hurray!)
|Front walkway on March 13th|
|Clear plastic on a couple of beds back in April 2015|
I've been tweaking said "to-do" list and today, I thought I would talk about the plan for the backyard ornamental borders.
|Looking towards the hilltop|
|Progress being made on one of the beds last year|
|Thankfully not a spreading bamboo, but trying to dig it up resulted|
in a few expletives (from my husband) and a broken shovel,
so we are going with the black plastic and continuous cutting back approach
in the hopes of starving it to death.
|The jungle bed, back in 2015.|
It provides us with a good privacy screen but not much else
Lastly, there is the area in front of our two sheds which has always been difficult to mow. We're not the best when it comes to weed whackering, so by mid-summer it was inevitably a mess of overgrown grass, dead grass (from the continuous back and forth with the tractor) and weeds. Last year we finally got around to sheet mulching this area. The only thing left to do, which is on the schedule for this year, is install edging and top up the mulch/remove any weeds that poke through.
|The before shot|
This area was mulched late last year but I didn't get around to taking a photo
(you can tell that I'm about utility first and beautification second -
at some point, I'm sure I'll get around to "prettying-up" the sheds😀)
Now, I’ve always hated plastic edging* and in fact removed a ton of it from various borders when we moved here. In this particular case, however, it’s necessary as we need a sturdy edge that we can step on and drive over with the tractor, wheelbarrow and wagon when going back and forth from the shed.