End of May Update
As is always the case at this time of year, things have been busy in the garden. Our first frost date is on May 10th, so the two weeks before and after always see a flurry of activity with lots of transplanting, seeding and, of course, weeding.
Last week, however, we ran into a bit of a glitch when we had a string of truly horrible weather that was cold, wet and windy. One day in particular really did a number on newly transplanted seedlings. It started out a bit chilly, at 11C/52F, but then the weather kept getting colder as the day progressed, a rare occurrence. By early afternoon, we were sitting at 1C/34F which is unheard of for this late in May. Unfortunately, I had put the cucumbers in the ground only a couple of days earlier. They survived but are definitely worse for wear. We'll have to wait and see if there is any lasting impact.
|Cucumbers took a beating during the recent frigid/windy weather|
The basil (which I had transplanted a week or so earlier in the soon-to-be tomato bed) fared a lot worse. Many of the seedlings were completely fried. I pulled all of those that had no hope of recovering and left those that still looked like they stood a chance. I also direct seeded the resulting empty spots. I've actually never direct seeded basil before so this will be a nice test to see how well it does. Thankfully, the tomatoes had not yet been transplanted, so they spent a few days indoors.
|The tomato plants were safe and sound inside|
while 'the weather outside was frightful' 😜
So today, I thought I would do a quick tour of the 7 beds that are being used this year for veg. As I mentioned in a previous post, this summer I'm working on replacing the beds in the side garden with 12 new raised beds so I've pared the vegetable garden down to the few available beds in the other areas of the garden.
|Tomato & Basil Bed|
This is the only bed in the main garden area (all the others are on the hilltop) and it will house the basil and tomatoes. It's currently covered with Agribon, more to keep the rabbits out than anything else. Once the tomatoes are planted, I'll be putting a barrier around the perimeter.
The garlic bed just received it's 2nd feeding of fish emulsion and it's looking amazing with nice thick stalks.
|Onion & Shallot Bed|
The onion bed also houses the shallots (at the far end). The onion seedlings were planted later than usual this year, but they should start to bulk up soon.
|Broccoli & Carrot Bed|
I'm growing 6 broccoli plants this year, including a new-to-me variety from Baker Creek called "Purple Peacock" which, apparently, has prolific side-shoots (my favourite part of the broccoli harvest!). At the bottom of the bed, I'll be squeezing in a few rows of carrots.
The potato's have just barely emerged from the bed....
|Newly Emerging Potato Plant|
|A mystery critter hole that won't go away|
I'm not sure what this is, but I've filled in the hole a few times & whatever it is keeps coming back. I'll be setting up the sonic device tomorrow - it seemed to help when I had a similar issue a few years ago.
|Cucumber and Bean Bed|
|Lettuce and Brassica Bed|
The last bed is filled with lettuce, kale, kohlrabi and heading cabbage. I've had seeds for heading cabbage for a while but this is the first time it's made it onto the grow list, so I'm quite excited. Even though I'm not growing anywhere near as much as usual that doesn't mean I can't try something new 😊