|"Monstrueux de Viroflay" Spinach & "Scarlet Globe" Radishes|
Only about half of the red radishes developed bulbs last year. The rest were basically long, skinny roots. Why? No idea. The white radishes fared even worse, with only 6 or 7 swollen roots (out of maybe 20 sown). So far, none of these are ready yet - I'm hoping we have a better showing this year on these as well. It's kind of strange but it seems like the easier a vegetable is to grow, the more difficult it is for ME to grow it. I will prove my point later this week when I do a post on squash.
The above photo also includes some of the spinach I harvested. A few days after this photo was taken, several of the Monstrueux de Viroflay spinach plants were on the verge of bolting, so I decided to harvest a final crop & pull the plants. Then I amended the bed with some chicken manure (which I forgot to do last time) & soybean meal so that it was ready to go for the next round of spinach.
Speaking of which, the Galilee spinach that I started 3 weeks ago and was hardening off to transplant this week bolted!
|Three Week Old "Galilee" Spinach Seedling - Bolting!?|
A few of the seedlings had not bolted yet, but, instead of using up valuable bed space & wasting time on seedlings that I was pretty sure would amount to nothing, I decided to start all over again. So I pre-germinated another batch of Galilee. They were quick to germinate (like before) but this time, instead of sowing them in cell packs to start inside, I sowed them directly into the bed. We will see how well they do.
The lettuce area is now shaded - I'm hoping to prolong the harvest until my new starts are ready, which should be in a couple of weeks. As for the current crop - so far so good - the lettuce has not turned bitter yet even though we have had a few fairly hot days.
This week we finally harvested some "Rougette de Montpellier". This is a butterhead type lettuce and the only one that I wanted to harvest as a head, instead of individual leaves. I'm not sure how large these grow, as this is my first time harvesting them this way, so I thought I would harvest some now & then let the rest grow another week or so.
|Heads of "Rougette de Montpellier"|
My harvest totals this week were:
Collards – 372 grams (0.82 lbs)Chinese Cabbage – 774 grams (1.71 lbs)
Spinach – 254 grams (0.56 lbs)
Lettuce – 886 grams (1.95 lbs)
Radishes - 126 grams (0.28 lbs)
Total For Week – 2,412 grams (5.32 lbs)
Total To Date – 5,898 grams (13.00 lbs)
To see what everyone else has been harvesting over the past week, head on over to Daphne’s Dandelions, our host for Harvest Mondays.
Till next time...☺
Till next time...☺